Tuesday, August 7, 2012

WBT, a shout out, and a FREEBIE!!

As you may recall, last Friday, I was trained in Whole Brain Thinking.  There are SOOOOOOO many things that I'll pull away from that professional development, but one of the things that I LOVE the most is the Super Improver Wall.  I love it for a number of reasons and here are a few:

1.  It's FREE for me!!!  (well except for the paper)
2.  It rewards EVERYONE who reaches their personal goal and not only the smartest kids.
3.  Did I mention it's FREE!?!?!
4.  It's a great motivator for the students to learn discipline and goal setting.  It also makes me acutely aware of where each student is and what they need to do to improve.

For my circus theme, I have chosen these 10 levels:

Ringmaster
Lion Tamer
Strongman
Tightrope Walker
Trapeze Artist
Unicyclist
Plate Spinner
Juggler
Acrobat
Clown

I'm going to have clip art of each level along with the words since my firsties may not know who/what they are.  I hope to do these in the next day or two so that I can get it put up on my board!!  

Speaking of my room, it's slowly becoming a classroom again!  YAY!!!  I was excited about my circus theme until I started trying to find decorations for it and then I realized that it's really hard to find stuff that is cute and circus-y.  SO........I went to TPT and found the cutest Circus theme pack from Berry Creative!!

I'm using LOTS of it in my classroom but here is one picture of my student supply boxes.



I know the picture doesn't do the kit justice but it's full of really great stuff!!!  

Today we were discussing documenting behaviors in our professional development meetings.  I had created a chart last year to document student behaviors on so that it took less time and since the boxes were little, I would write less.  Ever feel like you have to write an essay about one child's behavior??  Yep I have that problem too.  I go into great detail when all we need is the "Reader's Digest Condensed Version" as my dad used to say.  

I'm sharing my chart for free at TPT.  It's not cutesy.  It's not colorful.   It is useful.  It is what I need.  =)

Hope it helps you too!!!  

Tomorrow we tackle our new reading program at school.  Will I like it?  Will I dislike it (hate is a strong word)?  Will it matter?  Have a great evening!!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment